terça-feira, 11 de janeiro de 2011

Apple's iPhone comes to Verizon


Verizon has announced Apple's iPhone 4 will be sold on its network.

Since its debut in 2007, the iPhone launched a new age in mobile communication, but the device has been exclusive to AT&T customers until now.

The age of the iPhone has begun for Verizon. "Had I known that it was going to happen for sure two weeks ago, I wouldn't have bought the Droid I bought two weeks ago," Grand Blanc resident Kevin Smith said.

The much-anticipated announcement came down Tuesday morning from Verizon, which had previously been rather coy about plans to offer the popular device.

Financial and tech analysts think Verizon could easily sell several million iPhones in 2011.

"I'd probably switch to it. It's very useful to look stuff up," U of M-Flint student Nicole Smith said.

"I would think the only, the one real advantage to maybe having an iPhone is all the accessories and infrastructure that's built up around the iPhone," Smith said.

This version of the iPhone 4 will only run on Verizon's current 3G network, not the new and faster LTE 4G that is rolling out over the next few years.

That fact and the introduction of several new Android phones for Verizon at the Consumer Electronic Show in Vegas last week could mean some stiff competition from Android phones.

"It was simpler to use and it had some better camera capabilities and thought it was a better fit for myself," Flint resident Cindy McPheeters said.

Customers with other carriers probably won't make a switch. "No, I mean I like AT&T's service. I used to have Verizon and I didn't like Verizon," U of M-Flint student Amber Benscoter said.

Pricing is expected to be the same as other new phones - about $200 with a two-year contract. Pre-orders will be accepted on February 3, with availability online and in stores one week later.

Nenhum comentário: